Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Christa Ghent Scores Her First Elite Win at Harlow Platts




After last week’s race and my struggle with tire pressure, I checked it about six times before the start of this race, and it did me well!

Heavy legs before the start of the race is never a good sign, but I put it down to the watered grass and long sand sections on the course and started the race with a positive mindset. Either way, with the heavy grass on the start straight, I decided to start this race in my small chain ring. Not a good idea. I don’t have much practice starting in my small chain ring gears and it proved very true with the start of this race. I could not get on top of my gear and immediately went from front row to about 20th. After struggling with my gears for more than I would’ve liked, I found my way to second wheel before the holeshot. I sat on Kristen Weber’s wheel for about two laps but kept losing her wheel around corners. As I was losing a little bit around every corner, I could see Amy Beisel coming up on me very quick. She came past me and latched on to Kristen Weber. Keeping a good eye on them for about two laps I could see Kristen was again opening up time on every corner from Amy. My goal was top three so I knew I just had to stay calm and ride smooth and I would find myself on the podium. As the lap counter turned to two-to-go, I noticed I was gaining on Amy. With one solid error free ride through the sand, I was quick to find her wheel. Into the grass section I was encouraged on by Chris, shouting “You’re cornering better than her! Go around!” 



As soon as I was in front of Amy, I had Kristen on lock. As the race went on I continued to ride stronger and stronger through the sand pit and to my surprise I was back on Kristen’s wheel the final time through the sand. I made my move to pass Kristen just before the final section of the sand pit. The sand was slow and technical; being first through gave you the advantage of riding carefully and choosing your line, causing everyone behind to put a foot down or really struggle to carry speed out of it. The ski racer came out of me in this race, you could really carve into your lines and pin corners. All I had to do was not allow any inside lines to open up through the windy grass section. I’ve never been up against Kristen Weber in a sprint, but I don’t think she’ll ever want to do it again. Finally I came out on top, first pro/open win. I can’t wait to do it again.

Images provided by Dejan Smaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment