Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Maxx Chance twice scores third at Nittany Lion Cross


This weekend, Grant and I opted out of going to the Trek CXC Cup, where all the heavy hitters were, in favor of a much less stacked field in Trexlertown. It was a good opportunity for me to go get some points for the season. It turned out to be a good call, even Mitch said so!

The first day was hot, fast and dusty. I had a front row call up and managed to slot in right behind Jeremy Durrin's wheel for the hole shot! I decided to be young and dumb about three minutes into the race and overtake Jeremy for a dusty technical section but came in way too hot and washed out. I quickly got up and got back on the bike. The rest of the race was fast group racing with about five other guys that eventually split up with three to go. I lost the sprint for second, but was absolutely besides myself that I had gotten third place at a UCI race. My first top 10 ever in a C2!


That night Grant’s Uncle treated me to “the best Philly Cheese Steak I’ll ever eat”. It was my first cheese steak ever, but it was damn good!

The next day they ran the course backwards, which made it a lot faster, but there was some morning rain that brought down the dust! We did 10 laps on day two, this time the lead group was 13 guys for most of the race. It made for very hairy racing to stay in good position all day. On the last corner Spencer Petrov washed out while in second and I was able to finish third on the day again! 

It was a blast racing both days! I celebrated by treating myself to a good hour of studying for a midterm that I had to take a few hours after landing in Denver on Monday. Boy was studying a blast!

All in all, it was a great weekend, and I came away with valuable points and experience for the rest of the season. I can't wait for the next big race at Valmont in a couple of weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment