Monday, October 24, 2016

Coach Grant Holicky scores a win at Schoolyard Cross

Before the season even started, Coach Grant Holicky suffered multiple broken bones in a crash. 
But...he's back!


Too say this season didn't start as planned would be a bit of an understatement. Back in late August, I was out on a ride after returning from our yearly hiatus to Montana. Colorado was perfect and life was good. So why not crank one more sprint before ending the ride? Well, one broken chain later I was on the pavement a mile from my house wondering how bad the damage was. The answer was four broken ribs, a fractured scapula and a partially collapsed lung. Not how I drew up the start of the cross season. 

Life goes on and healing went well. I was back on the bike for KASK at the Wheelers and Dealers race in Vegas and back at the Colorado scene a week later at the Amy D race. However, as any coach or racer will tell you, racing and building fitness at the same time can be a struggle. So after a tough week of training with the EVOL athletes I toed the line at Schoolyard Cross knowing it was a one race weekend. Nothing to save it for and nothing to lose. 


I like the course at Dawson. It's as if they had me in mind when they made it. In fact, as I was rolling to the start I heard Pale Power tip me for a good race from the announcers booth. Thanks to the fine child care services of Nick Boni I was able to even warmup for this one! Watch out world. 

The best part of racing the 40+ open race in Colorado is it's all my friends and the people I most respect in Colorado CX. Dubba, Robson, Keller, Boups, et al were there on the line cracking jokes and having fun. The whistle blew and we were off. A good start had me settle in behind Davies, Dubba and Keller. Fine by me as the wind was howling and through the first lap I sat on the Boulder Cycle Sport Dreamsicle train. Little by little we separated from the field. Davies and Dubba were doing the lion's share of the work as Robson and I sat on. With three to go Dubba hit the gas hard and we got away from Michael. I played my own voice in my head "race smart, race smart".  In other words, let the BCS boys do the work. 

As we entered the last lap I decided to give it a go and hit the gas into the off camber and then over the log and found I had a gap. I went all-in up the backside hill and was able to hold on for a rare win. The great thing about racing with your friends is that they are genuinely happy to see you do well and sharing the podium with class like Brandon Dwight and Matt Davies is a joy in and of itself. Not to mention the congratulations from fellow big men Greg Keller and Robson. The season doesn't always go how you drew it up, but that doesn't mean it's going to go poorly. 


Now it's off to Cincy for Pan Ams and KingsCX in support of my athletes and the EVOL U23 squad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment