Friday, October 21, 2016

Melissa's test against the best - US Open of CX recap

Melissa Barker reflects back on the double UCI race weekend on our home court, Valmont Bike Park. 

It is always fun when the UCI races come to town. I love the opportunity to test myself against the strongest women in the sport. With fewer pros in the women’s open field this year, there was more opportunity to snag the coveted UCI points. Saturday’s race started off fast and my legs weren’t initially cooperating. I was in a group of 3-5 women for much of the race, often struggling to keep the pace on the straight aways, but feeling solid through the more technical sections. With two laps to go, I suddenly felt my legs come around. Taking advantage I attacked towards the top of the start hill and across the flat to gain a small gap on the two riders I was with. Not far in front, I was able to chase down another rider as we headed into the final lap. I was pleased with my 8th place result.

Sunday was just as hot and just a dry. Not being able to take water was pretty difficult for me on Saturday, so I shoved a small bottle in my bra and was pleased to get a little relief during the race with small sips of water. I started stronger on day two and was able to pick off a few riders in front of me in the first few laps. I then found myself in a battle with two super strong ladies for the last few laps. The hardest section of the course took riders up and down the face of Valmont bike park three times before dumping us out at the finish line. I quickly realized that this was the most critical part of the course. By the final laps, most of us were running the first climb sandpit combo. Focusing on my foot speed, I was able to gain precious seconds up the hill and build that lead by grinding hard across the top of the bike park. I rode steady up the tricky off-camber before plummeting down again and then running the 5280 staircase. On the final lap, I able to create a small gap again on the big run-up and hold off the other two riders to take 5th. Two big days of hard racing left me pretty exhausted, but also pleased about my performance. Hoping that cross weather will show up soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment